Sunday, October 12, 2008


I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by Lynne Spears’s book, Through the Storm: A Real Story of Fame and Family in a Tabloid World. I really did not know what to expect coming into the book, though I had heard rumors about “Britney’s mom’s book about parenting.” What I didn’t expect was something that was present throughout the book: an account of her faith and trust in God, and not just any God, but Jesus Christ. I was skeptical while reading through most of the book, she said a lot of vague things about faith in God, but things started sinking in with words like “providence,” “redemption,” and finally the phrase “Christ our savior.” She surprised me with an apparently deep faith that I knew nothing about before reading Through the Storm. Really, that is part of what the story is about. Lynne Spears has an abiding faith in God, even though her family went through a “storm.” She often appeals to the image of a “whirlwind” of fame and its ramifications, and if there was not already a book by Tim Ellsworth about the tornadoes at Union University with the title God in the Whirlwind, it would be an appropriate title for this book. Lynne Spears presents a picture of her family, faults and all, with fame tearing it apart in some instances, yet her faith remains steady. Her faith is the stabilizing factor in her life. While I had trouble reading the book, my issue with it was not content, but the stream of thought organization. Really, I read theology more than anything else, so this book is much different and in many ways hard for me to follow. But it was casual and good for what it was, her story, and many people that are prone to judge the Spears family should read this book. This book opens your eyes to see the character of the members of her family, the effect fame has had on them, and the regrets she has for letting fame take control and letting her own control slip away. Let this be the basis for judging Lynne’s character, not the tabloids.

1 comment:

Chase Abner said...

Wow. I can't even imagine reading the back of this book. You're hardcore.